It is possible to add the "m" to your domain name if you're a customer with Hostway.
To make this work please add a CNAME record to your domain name so visitors can be redirected to your mobile website. And please replace the word example.com with your own domain name.
Add the "m" to your domain name
Add to your DNS the following CNAME record:
m.example.com CNAME lb.site.mobi
m.example.com is your mobile website
www.example.com is your PC website
LB in lb.site.mobi stands for Load Balancer of our mobile cloud platform.
DNS instructions for Hostway
Creating third-level domains
Domain names are composed of at least two levels, a top-level domain and a second-level domain. The top-level domain, also referred to as TLD, is the suffix or extension attached to Internet domain names. There are a limited number of predefined TLDs, such as .com, .net and .org.
A second-level domain (SLD) is the portion of a Uniform Resource Locator (URL) that identifies the specific and unique administrative owner associated with an Internet Protocol address (IP address). The second-level domain name includes the top-level domain name. For example, “Hostway.com” is a second-level domain, as it includes the domain name “hostway” and the top-level domain “com.”
If you need to further distinguish your second-level domain name, you can use a third-level domain name, such as “resources.hostway.com.” Typically a third-level domain name is used to refer to different servers within different departments of a company.
Third-level domains can be set up as:
Domain alias to a target domain
Separate web hosting account
You can create a third-level domain using one of two different methods:
- By editing the A-record. Use this method if you want to point the domain name to a specified IP address
- By editing the CNAME record. Use this method if you want to point the domain name to another domain name
To create a third-level domain:
- In SiteControl, click Domain Name to display the Domain Name Management page
- Click Edit DNS/MX Record. Information about your current domain displays
- Carefully review the information on this page, including the schedule of costs, and then scroll to the bottom of the page. Select Custom and then click Continue
- When the DNS Record Action page appears, locate the Customization of DNS Records section
- Type the third-level domain name you want to create. You can create up to four
- For each, select either CNAME (to point to a domain name) or A (to point to an IP address)
- For each, enter the domain name or IP address
- When you are finished, click Submit DNS Change Request
- Review the summary of changes, including any additional charges you may incur, and then click Submit
Hostway processes your request immediately. You should allow 48 to 72 hours for the propagation period.
If you're unable to add the CNAME please send this email to the Hostway support desk.
Check if the DNS for your mobile site is correct
How can you check yourself if you made the correct settings in your own DNS?
Please continue to read about it on the following page: Check your DNS.
And now continue with Step 3
With the switcher code you create a piece of HTML code to ensure that your visitors automatically get the PC version or the mobile version of your website, depending on the device they use.
Well-known Control Panels
Did it work?
How does it work with ...
Support & Email
I need your help!
You went over the manual a thousand time but it still doesn't make any sense? All you have to do is ask us for help!